File flood insurance claims now to help jumpstart your recovery


WASHINGTON – Recovering from a flood can be overwhelming, and FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is dedicated to getting you back on your feet after Hurricane Ian.

Anyone affected by Hurricane Ian who has an NFIP flood insurance policy and suffered flood damage should start filing their claim now, even if you haven’t returned home yet.

Policyholders who evacuated and did not return home can begin the flood insurance claim process even if they only suspect flood damage. They can provide details of the damage later, once local officials say it is safe to return to their property.

National Flood Insurance Program policyholders, contact your agent or insurance company to file a claim. Information about filing a claim, documenting damages, working with your flood insurance adjuster, repairs, and understanding how to pay your claim is available on

Anyone who does not know who their agent or insurance company is can call 877-336-2627.

Policyholders should be sure to ask their insurance company for prepayments to receive up to $20,000 to jump-start recovery.

Those with both wind and flood damage will need to file two separate claims: a home insurance claim for wind damage and a flood insurance claim. Policies for each claim may be purchased from different companies and you may need to work with more than one insurance company representative.

Before beginning repairs to your flooded home, be sure to check with local authorities for applicable building codes and floodplain management requirements.

Anyone whose flood insurance policy has recently expired should ask their agent if they are still within a renewal grace period. They may be able to renew and cover their losses Ian.

Learn more about starting a flood insurance claim on by calling 877-336-2627 or on the FEMA app.

For more information or resources for Hurricane Ian survivors, or to apply for federal assistance, visit FEMA’s Hurricane Ian webpage.


Comments are closed.